In my career, as a key creative lead, I have helped two independent studios achieve acquisition in excess of 45 million dollars - Fuzzycube Software acquired by Magic Leap and FASA Interactive Inc acquired by Microsoft Corporation.
Prior to my Principal Engineering work in XR Innovation at Verizon, I worked for indie AR/VR game studio Nerd Kingdom LLC (in Irving TX) as Art Director developing two PC-to-mobile projects called "TUG" and "Best Buds" while funded by IGG China.
Prior to NK, I worked at Fuzzycube Software (in McKinney TX) on several augmented reality (AR) prototypes as Creative Director and Sr. Animator, including two innovative Magic Leap augmented reality experiences independently authored by Founder Roby Abovitz and Chief Creative Officer Graeme Devine.
Before working at Fuzzy', I worked as a freelance consultant for several startups on a highest-quality 3D scanning pipeline for games & film, a web-based 2D-to-3D texture application and preview tool, and a few AR prototype demos for the Perot Museum.
Prior to consulting, I spent 14 years in Redmond WA as a Senior Art and Animation Director for Microsoft Studios and Microsoft Research working on Microsoft HoloLens, HoloLens' Free-Viewpoint 3D performance capture technology, several next-generation Xbox consoles, and Kinect. I specialized in 3D art and animation management, content creation, 3D performance capture/scanning, and augmented reality (aka mixed reality) research.
A brief overview of my professional background includes:
- Fuzzycube Software leadership team for 3D game apps and demos on Magic Leap AR eyewear prototypes, the precursors to Magic Leap One.
- Microsoft Research leadership team for Microsoft HoloLens.
- Microsoft Research leadership team for Avatar Spectrum technology for Xbox One and Kinect.
- Microsoft Research leadership team for Kinect 3D performance capture technology (code name: Kent Studio) and precursor to ActionGrams.
- Microsoft Research leadership team for Avatar Kinect facial expression and lip-sync technology, utilized during Steve Ballmer's 2011 CES Keynote.
- First Augmented Reality Research Lead at Microsoft (Game) Studios.
- Microsoft Patent for "Smart Camera for Virtual Conferences" technology.
- Art Director and Motion Capture Specialist for Microsoft ESP, aka Flight Simulator's Enterprise Simulation Platform.
- Art Lead for Xbox 360's first multi-platform title, Shadowrun.
- Art/Animation Lead and key contributor for Xbox's first multiplayer title, Mech Assault.
- Art Director for blended animation technology and proprietary tools.
- 20+ years experience as an Art Director and Senior Animator in the game industry.
I also own the Xsens MVN inertial motion capture system (v 2.6). This very portable/mobile system doesn't require optical reflectors, special lights & cameras, or a dedicated studio space. Excellent motion for game assets, pre-viz, and cinematics!
I continue to be inspired by the advances in hardware and software technologies created for the games, mobile, and AR/VR industries. 3D art and animation for games (and in film) are my passion!